Monday, January 13, 2014

Marvel Select THOR : The Dark World Figure Review


Marvel Select Thor Dark World

I got this Thor figure from one of my favorite ebay stores who offers free shipping and discount. I regret taking a photo of it while it was still in the package because of excitement I guess :-)

Anyway presenting Marvel Select Thor : The Dark World! I was actually waiting for the right time to buy a more good looking Thor since I really don't have one until Marvel Select heard my prayer. For me, this figure is the best among the previous releases. Why? Read on and I'll tell you why.

This Dark World figure is base on the scene where Thor and Loki went to Svartalfheim, home of the Dark Elves and Malekith. There you can see Thor wearing a sleeveless version of his armor.

Marvel Select Thor Dark World

 Appearance:

The first thing that made me purchase this figure is the closer face resemblance to Chris Hemsworth. Over all sculpt is awesome especially with the braided hair!

Marvel Select Thor Dark World hair

Actual figure size is 7.8 inches tall and I think Marvel Select has made a good idea to consider the actual height of Chris Hemsworth who stnads 6'3" tall.

Armor sculpt is great along with the fine details in the legs and boots. The hammer is quite the same with the previous release but others say it has some few improvements with the paint.



Paint :

In my opinion, Thor's skin tone is too white which almost blend in with his hair and eyebrow colors.  A increase in the skin tone's white balance will turn him into an albino Thor! Hope they could have taken him first on the beach to get a good amount of tan. Well, the rest of the armor and accessories-no color issues.

Marvel Select Thor Dark World base Accessories :

It comes of course with a hammer made of plastic. You can feel a metal-like texture along with the scratches in the hammer like it's been used in battles many times.

Other accessories include the plastic thunder for the hammer and a connecting base that is to be connected to the other base included in the Jane Foster figure.

Articulation : 


Marvel Select Thor Dark WorldMarvel Select Thor Dark World

Thor's head is ball-jointed but due to his long hair, turning it sideways is very limited. Shoulders are swivel-hinged, swivel biceps, hinged elbows, swivel wrists which can tilt a little bit. You can bend and twist his abs, swivel thighs, double-hinged knees and swivel-hinged ankles. The long cape somehow hinders Thor's capacity to bend on his knees further because of the cape's stiffness.

I notice on this figure and on some of my Marvel Select figures is that the swivel-hinged ankles easily becomes loose which make it harder for the figures to stand 90 degrees straight considering it should be strong enough to carry the whole figure.


Figure comparison : 

Marvel Select Thor Wolverine
Thor stands an inch taller than the Marvel Select The Wolverine.

Marvel Select Thor Wolverine
Who knows maybe someday Wolverine will appear in a Thor or Avengers movie. Awesome!
Final Vedict :

Sculpt : 9/10
Paint :  8/10
Articulation : 8/10
Value for Money :  9/10

One thing I wish for improvement is his left hand. Fingers are quite long and slightly deformed. Looks like he's about to play the piano!

I do recommend this figure for Thor collectors out there. Price is reasonable. It's a great catch for Chris Hemsworth fans because it's the closest face sculpt you'll ever get for the 6-8" figures. You can still enjoy the basic poses, the fine sculpt and yeah, it will look awesome in your toy shelf.



12 comments:

  1. The Thor figurine does look like Chris Hemsworth and I think this is a good collectors item for those who love Toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this one's awesome! they are actually my childhood heroes and now they are good for collectibles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thor my hero lol haha its really nice .,, I think this product has a good quality :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know much about action figure (other than my cousin was a huge collector and eventually opened a store!), but i'm a huge fan of Thor (well, i kinda like Loki more now...) and this one looked quite good! And i agree (coming from a totally clueless person so it might not mean much!) that he was too pale though! Would've been perfect if he was slightly tanned. Don't think Chris Hemsworth's that pale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Action figures like that for collection are pricey but they look nice when displayed at your home. How much did you get it for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!! This is really amazing!! I so love Thor and I want one :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I so love thor! What store did you get this from and for how much? I really think this is nice for collectors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome! reminded me of this restaurant near where I work where there are action figures surrounding you while you have lunch. Imma send you the link t my blog post about it when it's up :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool! My dad used to collect action figures too :)
    xo

    www.bagsandchocolate.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice one! I remember I made a sort of the same post of my son's toy figures. It was like, I was the one even more enjoying than my son, playing them. You may have a peek here: http://etc.soundsfunny.ws/index.php/2012/05/photography-introducing-the-peacekeepers/

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete