Thursday, April 9, 2015

Bandai 1/12 Star Wars Stormtrooper Model Kit


Bandai Stormtrooper

This is my first time to assemble a Star Wars action figure model kit and I'm excited to explore the construction process and how it would look like when it's done. I read and watched many nice reviews on Bandai model kits so when they finally released their Star Wars kits, I said "Man I should get one of those!" First pick is my favorite-Stormtrooper!

Actually the initial Star Wars model kits by Bandai were the 1/72 X-Wing, Tie Advance x1, Tie Fighter and the 1/48 ATST. Then came along the 1/12 or 6" action figures which currently are Darth Vader, Stormtrooper and the R2D2/R5D4 combo.

Here is what you'll get out of the box. I like keeping the box because of the design.

Bandai Stormtrooper Model Kit


Comes with 4 model kit sprues, stickers and instruction manual. You don't need to paint it anymore because the white plastic parts are already glossy along with the the stickers to fill the details. I only used two types of small pliers, flat and long nose to cut and trim the parts.

I took me a couple of days to finish this model kit and yes indeed Bandai model kits are easy to assemble. They're durable, snaps together firmly and the instructions are easy to follow.

bandai stormtrooperbandai stormtrooperbandai stormtrooperbandai stormtrooper

 When I was starting with the helmet part, I already knew that this will definitely look awesome!

Appearance:



This is the closest sculpt for a 6" action figure for me. The Stormtrooper helmet is the first to notice when it comes to Star Wars action figure comparison and Bandai really nailed it. The cheek tubes are not too large, frown mouth has those accurate teeth and not too small eye lenses. It's like looking to a scaled 501st Legion Stormtrooper.

He has that glossy look, smooth details and Bandai somehow managed to hide the articulation hinges and joints so you get that statue look. The gun holster looks better which I think is more screen accurate. I also like the shape of the shoulder bells and how you can slightly lift them up.

Comes with a square base where you can put in the right foot to an embossed holder so you can make a kicking or running pose.

Articulation:

bandai stormtrooper

This part is what I enjoy the most! Ever since I finished this model, I never stop playing around with the many poses you can do with this guy. If you're familiar with the Gundam model kits, you will surely enjoy the articulation here.



Head: Move sideways, up and down, forward and backward.
Arms: Shoulders, biceps and wrist swivels. Hinged elbows. Flexible shoulders.
Body: Torso can be rotated. Swivel hips.
Legs: Flexible leg movement. Swivel thighs and hinged knees.
Feet: Move sideways. Move downward and slightly upward.

If you are in to Toy Photography then the Bandai Stormtrooper is a great choice. I think this comes close the SH Figuarts Stormtrooper when it comes to articulation but to sculpt, Bandai for me.

Downside is legs are limited when making a side split because of the belt side pouches. I also need to glue the left part of the belt to the waist because the gun holster easily drops off.


Another bonus with the Bandai Stormtrooper is it comes with 3 weapons and 6 removable hands. Some hands are designed to hold the blasters firmly by just snapping together the blaster between the detachable sides of the hand. The gun holster can hold two kinds of blasters, E11 and SE-14r.


Here is a comparison of the Bandai Stormtrooper with the 6" Black Series Stormtrooper. You can see that Bandai's Stormtrooper is slightly taller and shinier.


They look great together though. Each still has its own good qualities and had no regrets having them. If I can grab another model kit of Bandai, it would be Darth Vader or R2D2 with R5D4. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Great review! Very quickly, how tall are these Steve? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monty. The Bandai ones are 6" tall and the legs can be extended to a certain point

      Delete
    2. Hey, great review and good pictures, I have a question, are those imperial decals come with the kit?

      Delete
    3. Thanks. Yes star wars bro, the decals are included in the kit.

      Delete